2008 M.F.A. Art, Department of Art, University of California, Irvine
2006 M. Arch, Southern California Institute of Architecture
1993 B.A. Art, Department of Art, University of California, Los Angeles
SELECT PUBLIC ART COMMISSIONS
It Calls From the Creek. Art on Site for the Deer Creek Tribute Trail, Sierra Fund, Nevada City (with Unmanned Minerals)
Solar Invocation. The Knowledges, Mount Wilson Observatory, Los Angeles
Transgressing in a Ribbon, &Now Festival of New Writing: Tomorrowland Forever!, UC San Diego, La Jolla (with Unmanned Minerals)
Blast Site: A Monument For Future Failures. New Moon, Shangrila, Joshua Tree (with Danielle McCullough)
Untitled score for Baldwin Hills Scenic Overlook, Oct. 16, 2011. "sound." commission, SASSAS, Los Angeles (with Lady Noise)
An Evening of Light, Space and Sound. UCR Barbara and Art Culver Center of the Arts, Riverside (with Lady Noise)
Eucalyptus Carvers. Elysian Park Museum of Art, Elysian Park, Los Angeles (with Unmanned Minerals)
Ur Rituals and The Desert Die. Mapping the Desert/Deserting the Map: Dry Immersion 3 (organized by UCIRA/UCR Sweeney Art Gallery), Twentynine Palms
LAMOA DS#3 presents Gabie Strong: Given, Commonwealth & Council, Los Angeles
Overhead, a raven, Garage Door Gallery, Sierra Nevada College
My War, Angels Gate Cultural Center, San Pedro
The Exegesis of Entropy, Autonomie, Los Angeles
Archaeological Expedition, PØST, Los Angeles
SELECT GROUP EXHIBITIONS
Khal: A Project by Helga Fassonaki, Nga Taonga Sound & Vision and Audio Foundation Gallery, Aukland, NZ; Auricle Gallery of Sonic Arts, Christchurch, NZ; Los Angeles Contemporary Archive, Los Angeles
Off-Road Expo, High Desert Test Sites and Machine Project, El Mirage
The Bunker, Angels Gate Cultural Center, San Pedro
KCHUNG TV, Made in L.A. 2014, UCLA Hammer Museum, Los Angeles
Contested Destinations, Armory Center for the Arts, Pasadena
Summercamp’s ProjectProject @ Side Street Projects, Pasadena
Letting Go: Herman La Prada International Flat File Exhibition, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
The End of Wild, Modified Arts, Phoenix
New Moon, Shangrila, Joshua Tree
La Cosa Nostra – This Thing of Ours, Galerie Rheeway, Los Angeles
Durden & Ray Presents: Vertigo, 12th Floor, Los Angeles
&Now Festival of New Writing: Tomorrowland Forever!, UC San Diego, La Jolla
The De-socialized Landscape (Curated by Grant Vetter), Foundation for Art Resources at D-Block Gallery, Long Beach
Elysian Park Museum of Art, LACE, Hollywood
Wo Es War, Soll Ich Werden! Nan Rae Gallery, Woodbury University, Burbank
Amy and Wendy Yao’s Art Swap Meet, High Desert Test Sites, Joshua Tree
Capitalism in Question (Because It Is) (Curated by Ciara Ennis and Daniel Joseph Martinez), Pitzer Art Gallery, Pitzer College, Claremont
I’m Gorgeous Inside, Five Thirty Three Gallery, Los Angeles
Second Shift, Sabina Lee Gallery, Los Angeles
Wreckers, Records, Redeemers, LAXArt, Los Angeles
Juried Art Exhibition 2008, Torrance Art Museum, Torrance
Summer Guests Show, Acuna-Hansen Gallery, Los Angeles
Oranges & Paper, University Art Gallery, UC Irvine
Video Nightmare, Raid Projects, Los Angeles
Imagination and Reality: First Beijing Dashanzi International Art Festival (Curated by Huang Rui and Tatehata Akira), Beijing
Three Day Weekend (Curated by Dave Muller), Mad Art Gallery, Saint Louis
Anwander, Bazaar de Cologne, Cologne, Germany
SELECT SOUND PERFORMANCES
Gabie Strong & Ted Byrnes duo: Kchung @ Printed Matter’s LA Art Book Fair. MoCA, Los Angeles
Gabie Strong: The Refrain is a Prism, In Real-Life, 100 Days of Film and Performance. Hammer Museum, Los Angeles
Gabie Strong: Current LA - KPARK, Angels Gate Curatorial Center, Point Fermin, San Pedro
Gabie Strong: BOXStock, The Box Gallery, Los Angeles
Gate (Michael Morley, Christopher Reid Martin, Gabie Strong), West Coast tour: Land and Sea (Oakland), KJFC (Los Altos), S1 (Portland), Hollow Earth Radio (Seattle)
Gabie Strong: In Chambers, Ms Barbers, Los Angeles
Gabie Strong, Ted Byrnes, John Weise, Joseph Hammer: Bluewhale, Los Angeles
Gabie Strong, Ted Byrnes, Christopher Reid Martin: “Music for Healing” (or what you need) - Matt Wardell “EYE-DEE-QUE” (Something Like an Asclepeion), Baik Art, Los Angeles
Gabie Strong & John Pearson: Complex, Glendale and Non Plus Ultra, Los Angeles
Gabie Strong: Desert Night, Volume, Los Angeles
Gabie Strong: Peaked Experience, Shangrila 2015, Joshua Tree
Gabie Strong: Sacred Datura, Museum of Contemporary Art, Los Angeles
Gabie Strong: Untitled VI (becoming-animal), the wulf, Los Angeles
Gabie Strong: James Boulton’s Quality Time, Monte Vista Projects, Los Angeles
Gabie Strong: Armour - Khal: A Project by Helga Fassonaki, Los Angeles Contemporary Archive (LACA) and KChung Radio, Los Angeles
“Crystalline Morphologies,” KCHUNG Radio, Printed Matter’s L.A. Art Book Fair 2015, MoCA Geffen, Los Angeles
“Crystalline Morphologies,” KCHUNG TV, Made in L.A. 2014, UCLA Hammer Museum, Los Angeles
“Crystalline Morphologies,” Building on Ruins, Cirrus Gallery, Los Angeles
Gabie Strong: Trapdoor Fucking Exit (Curated by Helga Fassonaki), Human Resources, Los Angeles
Lady Noise with Dawn Kasper for THIS COULD BE SOMETHING IF I LET IT. Whitney Biennial 2012 opening receptions, Whitney Museum of American Art, New York
Lady Noise w/ Raquel Gutierrez: Material Utterances, Human Resources, Los Angeles
Lady Noise w/ OMAYUMI, Alan Nakagawa, Steve Irvin: Flat Red, Japanese American National Museum, Los Angeles
Lady Noise w/ Raquel Gutierrez: GUTTED, LACE, Hollywood
Lady Noise: Late Risers Club, Verse/Chorus/Verse Amphitheater, 2011 Art Los Angeles Contemporary Fair
UR: LACMA Launch/Muse Artwalk, Los Angeles County Museum of Art, Los Angeles
Lady Noise (Gabie Strong, Kathleen Kim, Sandy Yang, Kelly Coats): An Evening of Experimental Music, Human Resources, Los Angeles
UR (Gabie Strong, Ron Russell, Steve Kim): Mind ur Head, Las Cienegas Projects, Los Angeles
Telethon Returns Revisited (directed by Joe Potts/LAFMS), Otis College of Art and Design, Los Angeles
Boadrum 88 (directed by The Boredoms), La Brea Tar Pits, Los Angeles
Sand and Sky Rituals (Gabie Strong w/ Helga Fassonaki, Andrew Scott, Steve Kim, Ron Russell, Albert Ortega), Amy and Wendy Yao’s Art Swap Meet, High Desert Test Sites (CB08)
Gabie Strong, David Patton, Ron Russell, Joe Potts, Joseph Hammer, with Cindy Bernard: space, climate, light, mood (directed by Cindy Bernard), MAK Center for Art and Architecture, Los Angeles
angels gate 8.16.99 dusk: installations + trios pulled from a hat (organized by Cindy Bernard), Angels Gate Cultural Center, San Pedro
2016 Rema Hort Foundation Nominee
2013 Sierra Fund - Art on Site Artist Award
2011 CCI Artist Resource Completion Grant
2010 UCIRA/UCR Sweeney Art Gallery Collaborative Research Grants
2006-2008 UC Irvine Graduate Student Research and Travel Grant
2006-2008 UC Irvine Resident of California Fees Fellowship
2006-2008 UC Irvine Graduate Teaching Assistant Fellowship
2007 UC Irvine Medici Circle Scholarship
2007 UC Irvine Department of Studio Art, Graduate Student Scholarship
2003 SCI-Arc Graduate Student Scholarship
2013 Art on Site, Nevada City, California
2013 KCHUNG Radio, Public Engagement Artist In Residence, UCLA Hammer Museum, Los Angeles
- Gabie Strong, “Sacred Datura/Peaked Experiences,” © 2016 Crystalline Morphologies. 12” vinyl LP, cassette, and digital album.
- Gabie Strong, “Spectress,” © 2016 Crystalline Morphologies. 12” vinyl LP and digital album.
- KCHUNG Radio – Gabie Strong’s “Crystalline Morphologies” and Earth Art Radio. Continuous weekly programming. 2011 – present. http://gabiestrong.kchungradio.org + http://earthartradio.kchungradio.org
- “Crystalline Morphologies, live” on KCHUNG.TV http://www.kchung.tv/episodes/kchung-tv-july-26-2014/ © 2014.
- “Audio Tour for Maya Hayuk Project in the Hammer Museum (KCHUNG Radio)” © 2013. Digital download site-specific audio guide.
- “Earth Art Radio - HDTS 2013 - Interviews with Artists,” © 2013.
- Lady Noise, s/t, © 2012-2013 Strong/Kim/Coats/Yang. Digital album.
- Lady Noise, “Lady Noise Mix-Tape”, © 2012. Strong/Kim/Coats/Yang. Cassette and Digital album.
- Gabie Strong, performance, EarMeal (solo). 2011. Digital streaming media. http://laartstream.com/ear-meal/gabie-strong/
- Lament Project at Viralnet.net, Center for Integrated Media, California Institute of the Arts. 2008. Digital streaming media. http://viralnet.net/lamentproject/each_lament.html?artist=strong
- Various artists, soundCD no.1: Live recordings of experimental improvisations organized as a part of sound., ©2002 by soundNet recordings/SASSAS. Compact disc.
- Tom Watson, Country and Watson. With Erik Bluhm, Brian Christopher, Lynn Johnston, Bob Mothersbaugh, Stephen Prina, Gabie Strong, Mayo Thompson and Diana Watson. ©1999 by Leiterwagen Records, ©2002 by Theologian Records. Compact disc.
- Ron Russell, David Patton, and Gabie Strong, PS001 Ron Russell, David Patton, Gabie Strong. ©1999 by Pacific Standard Recordings.
- Ajay Dhaka, Tanya Samazan and Gabie Strong, Canopy/SeeSaw, with Joey Morris and Richard Medina. ©1993 by Canopy/SeeSaw. Sour Power Records. 7” vinyl record.
- Harvey, Doug. “Under the Radar: What’s Making What Noise,” Artillery Magazine. Volume 11, Issue 2, November - December 2016. p. 22. http://artillerymag.com/under-the-radar-9/
- Kio, Griffith. "Fresh Faces in Art: Gabie Strong." Fabrik. Issue 32, 2016. https://issuu.com/fabrik/docs/fabrik32
- Segal, Dave. "Recommended: Gate, Gabie Strong, Dialing In, Christopher Reid Martin." The Stranger. July 2016.
- Weidenbaum, Marc. "Gabie Strong’s Rituals of Noise." Disquiet. December 13, 2015. http://disquiet.com/2015/12/13/gabie-strong-sacred-datura/
- Lawson, Thomas. “Open City: Thomas Lawson on Made in L.A. 2014.” Artforum. October, 2014.
- Diehl, Travis. “Networked Television.” Artforum.com. August 02, 2014. http://artforum.com/diary/id=47639 (accessed August 02, 2014)/
- McDonnell, Evelyn. “San Pedro: A Different Kind of Burgeoning Art Scene.” LA Weekly. January 9, 2014. http://www.laweekly.com/2014-01-09/artbooks/san-pedro-a-different-kind-of-burgeoning-art-scene/ (accessed January 9 2014).
- Puusemp, Kiersten. “Gabie Strong,” The Benefit of Friends Collected, A Journal of Artist-on-Artist Critical Writing, Jesse Benson, publisher. 2013
- Hebdige, Dick. “The Desert Studies Project: More From Less Than Zero.” Arid: A Journal of Desert Art, Design and Ecology. Fall 2012, Volume 1 Issue 1. http://aridjournal.com/desert-studies-hebdige/ (accessed September 15, 2012).
- Perel, Marissa. “Gimme Shelter | Anti-Establishment in the Establishment: Dawn Kasper at the Whitney Biennial, Part 1.” May 18, 2012. Art21 Magazine. http://blog.art21.org/2012/05/18/gimme-shelter-anti-establishment-in-the-establishment-dawn-kasper-at-the-whitney-biennial-part-1/#.VMlx0V7F880 (accessed June 2012).
- Enrico. “Dawn Kasper: Performance at Whitney Biennial 2012.” March 16, 2012. Vernissage TV. http://vernissage.tv/2012/03/16/dawn-kasper-performance-at-whitney-biennial-2012/ (accessed June 2012).
- Bakhle-Ellis, Aparna. “Cosmic Knowledges: Site-Specific Art at Mount Wilson Observatory,” Fabrik, issue #17, (Summer 2012): pp. 76-85.
- “Art: Gabie Strong’s ‘My War’: An installation in San Pedro looking at the military's influence in Southern California.” LA Times. March 15, 2012. http://articles.latimes.com/2012/mar/15/entertainment/et-pickmywar15-20120315 (accessed March 15, 2012).
- Schmidt, Heinrich. “Dawn Kasper: Performance at Whitney Biennial 2012,” Vernissage TV, March 16, 2012. http://vernissage.tv/blog/2012/03/16/dawn-kasper-performance-at-whitney-biennial-2012/ (accessed March 16, 2012).
- Yablonsky, Linda. “Different Strokes, New York,” Artforum Diary, 03.03.12. http://www.artforum.com/diary/id=30431 (accessed March 3, 2012).
- Keller, Caitlin. “Survival cooking demo at High Desert Test Sites workshop,” LA Times Daily Dish. September 9, 2011. http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/dailydish/2011/09/survival-cooking-demo-at-high-desert-test-sites-workshop-in-joshua-tree.html (accessed Sept. 9, 2011)
- Crain, Mary Beth. "Sound Is Everything," L.A. Weekly. Oct. 13-20, 2011.http://www.laweekly.com/2011-09-22/calendar/sound-is-everything/ (accessed February 1, 2011).
- Stanley, Jared. “Strong Discolored Blast – An Emblem,” ONandOnScreen, Winter 2012. http://onandonscreen.net/issue-5/Stanley-Strong_Discolored_Blast.html (accessed February 2, 2012)
- Stanley, Jared. “What I Saw At Twentynine Palms,” UCR Arts Block Blog, http://artsblock.ucr.edu/blog/index.php?content=blog-entry&post-ID=PID00063 (accessed April 27, 2010).
- UCR Sweeney Art Gallery Podcast Vol. 4 : Issue 5.6 “Dry Immersion 3,” http://www.sweeney.ucr.edu/exhibitions/mappingthedesert/ (accessed April 1, 2010).
- Davis, Lisa Selin. “Desert Beauty,” BlouinARTINFO, http://www.artinfo.com/news/story/34100/desert-beauty/ (accessed March 10, 2010).
- Muckenfuss, Mark. “Art show ‘out there’ in open desert,” The Press-Enterprise online (accessed March 9, 2010).
- Ennis, Ciara and Daniel Joseph Martinez, editors. Capitalism in Question (Because It Is), Claremont: Pitzer Art Galleries, Pitzer College, 2010. Catalog to exhibition.
- Carson, Juli, “Remembering Site,” Wreckers, Records, Redeemers. Irvine: Department of Studio Art, UC Irvine, 2008. Catalog to exhibition.
- Jou, Diana, “See: Gabie Strong,” Pushback.org online (accessed July 14, 2008).
- Rui, Huang, editor. Beijing 798: Reflections on Art, Architecture and Society in China. Beijing: Timezone 8, 2005.
- Strong, Gabie. “Greg Wilken: Stains,” The Benefit of Friends Collected, A Journal of Artist-on-Artist Critical Writing, Jesse Benson, publisher. 2013.
- Strong, Gabie and Danielle McCullough. Blast Site: A Field Guide to Future Failures. Self published artist chapbook, 2011.
- Strong, Gabie. “Kara Walker,” This Is Not To Be Looked At: Highlights from the Permanent Collection of MOCA, Los Angeles. Los Angeles: Museum of Contemporary Art, Los Angeles, 2010. Ann Goldstein, editor.
- Strong, Gabie. “Dirty Work, Land Art of the West,” Great God Pan, The Journal of Californiana, #13 (1999): pp. 22-23.
- Strong, Gabie. “Headbanging Revisited: The Melvins, The Bootlicker, Ipecac Records,” New Times L.A. (Sept. 2, 1999).
- Strong, Gabie. “Nightstick: Cindy Bernard and Joseph Hammer,” New Times L.A. (July 15, 1999).
- Strong, Gabie. “Nightstick: The Donnas, Delta 72,” New Times L.A. (July 8, 1999).
- Strong, Gabie. “Revolver: Guitar Wolf, Jet Generation, Matador Records,” New Times L.A. (June 17, 1999).
- Strong, Gabie. “Revolver: Roy Montgomery/Chris Heaphy, True, Matador Records,” New Times L.A. (March 11, 1999).
- Strong, Gabie. “Revolver: godspeed you black emperor! Slow Riot for new Zero Kanada, Kranky Records,” New Times L.A. (March 4, 1999).
- Strong, Gabie. “LoCAL: Solid Eye, Fruits of Automation, W.I.N. Records,” New Times L.A. (Feb. 25 1999).
- Strong, Gabie. “Non: Receive the Flame,” “Mouse on Mars,” “Crib: Forward Back,” Mean #7 (1999).
- Strong, Gabie. “Holger Czukay, Good Morning Story,” Mean #5 (1999).
- Strong, Gabie. “Edith Frost: Telescopic;” “Will Oldham: Black Rich Music/ Benway Records, Venice,” “Buck Owens and The Sugar Hill Gang with Grandmaster Flash and Mel E. Mel at the Santa Monica Pier,” “Royal Trux,” “Joan Didion: The White Album,” Great God Pan, The Journal of Californiana, #12 (1998): pp. 105, 111-113, 113-114.
- Strong, Gabie. “Jeffrey Vallance: The World of Jeffrey Vallance,” “Blue is Beautiful: A film by James Schnieder,” “For The Dead In Space: Interpretations of the Work of Tom Rapp and Pearls Before Swine (Ptolemaic Terrascope)/ Tard and Further’d: Selected Tracks from the Siltbreeze 7” Catalog 1989-95 (Siltbreeze),” “Flying Saucer Attack: New Lands (Drag City)/ Movietone: Day and Night (Drag City)/ Bardo Pond: Lapsed (Matador),” “Royal Trux: Singles. Live. Unreleased. (Drag City),” Great God Pan, The Journal of Californiana, #11 (1998): pp. 18- Strong, Gabie. 19, 91-92, 99-102.
- “Amp: Perception (Darla),” “Ashtabula: River of Many Dead Fish (Siltbreeze),” “The Azusa Plane: Tycho Magnetic Anomaly and the Full Consciousness of Hidden Harmony (Camera Obscura),” “Brother J.T.: Rainy Day Fun (Drunken Fish),” “Hash Jar Tempo: Well Oiled (Drunken Fish),” Great God Pan, The Journal of Californiana, #10 (1997): pp. 62-71.
2011- Gabie Strong’s “Crystalline Morphologies,” KCHUNG Radio
2014- Earth Art Radio, KCHUNG Radio
2009 Co-curator, SASSAS, Mapping sound. The SASSAS 10th Anniversary Concert Series.
2007/08 Curatorial Assistant and Researcher, Skin+Bones: Parallel Practices in Fashion and Architecture, Museum of Contemporary Art, Los Angeles
2007 Time Writers From The Mirror Horizon, David Patton Gallery, Los Angeles
2012 The Arcade: Art and Urbanism, Otis College of Art and Design
2011 Blast Site: A Workshop for Conjecture, High Desert Test Sites, Joshua Tree
2011 Sound Workshop, Center for Integrated Media, California Institute of the Arts
2010 Sound Workshop, Center for Integrated Media, California Institute of the Arts
2008 Sound Workshop, Center for Integrated Media, California Institute of the Arts
2015 Noise & The Possibility for A Future, Goethe Institute, Los Angeles
2013 Riot Grrrl and fanzines, Revolution Grrrl Style Now! Women’s studies course, Loyola Marymount University
2012 Art and Urbanism, Art Otis College of Art and Design
2012 Advanced Photography, Department of Art, Cal State Fullerton
2012 Introduction to Photography, Department of Art, Cal State Fullerton
2012 2012 Art and Photography, Department of Art, Arizona State University
Art and Urbanism, Department of Art, Southern Methodist University
2010 Fine Art Photography, Art Center College of Design
2010 Graduate Department of Architecture, Woodbury University, Burbank
2009 Intermediate Projects in Photography, Department of Studio Art, UC Irvine
2009 History of Contemporary Art, Woodbury University, Burbank
Graduate Mentor, Sierra Nevada College, MFA/IC Program
F 2015 - Sp 2017
Lecturer: Artists, Community, Teaching at Otis College of Art and Design, Los Angeles
Community Arts in LA + Art, Activism
Social Justice + Activism
F 2009 – Sp 2012
Lecturer: Woodbury University, Burbank
Urban Ecology: Art and Urbanism, History of Land Art, History of Modern Art, History of Photography
Sp 2010 – Su2011
Lecturer: Southern California Institute of Architecture
Contemporary Aesthetics, Cultural Studies, Modernism
F 2007 – Su 2008
Lecturer: University of California, Irvine
F 2007 – Sp 2008
Graduate Researcher: University of California, Irvine
W 2006 - Sp 2007
Graduate Teaching Assistant: University of California, Irvine
Afro-futurism, Photography, Sculpture, Visual Studies
2016-2018 President, Board of Directors, KCHUNG Radio
2016-2017 Advisory Committee, Knowledges at Mount Wilson
2014-2016 Managing Producer, KCHUNG TV, UCLA Hammer Museum Made in L.A. 2014
2011-2012 Symposium Coordinator, Department of Art History, Woodbury University, Burbank
2008-2010 Board of Directors, SASSAS